Blur Confirm Glastonbury Showby Contributor | 01 March 2009
Britpop giants Blur have confirmed they are set to reunite ahead of this summer's Glastonbury festival, where they will play as one of the headline acts.
Speaking to the Daily Mirror newspaper, lead singer Damon Albarn confirmed the date as well as hinting at several other shows in the months before the Somerset event in June.
"Yeah, we're doing Glasto this year," the former Gorrillaz frontman said, adding that they were also asked to play last year but turned it down.
"We need a few more warm-up gigs to get back into it, ready for the big one.
The announcement follows organiser Michael Eavis' claims earlier this week that Blur were a likely headline act for the weekend - following American rock legend Bruce Springsteen's confirmation for the main stage on the Saturday night.
"You can look forward to that yeah, but it's not officially announced yet," Eavis said at the NME awards earlier this week.
He added to BBC 6Music: "[There's a] bit more work to do on that yet, but you will not be disappointed, I can assure you."
Blur last played together at the Royal Festival Hall in 2000 but previewed their comeback with an impromptu performance of This Is A Low at Wednesday's NME awards.
They are headlining the T in the Park and Oxegen festivals and will play shows at the Manchester MEN Arena and in Hyde Park this summer.