Bennett's Death Ruled An Accidental Overdose
An Illinois coroner has ruled former WILCO star JAY BENNETT died of a painkiller overdose.
The 45-year-old musician was found dead at his home in Urbana, Illinois on 24 May (09) and a subsequent autopsy has led authorities to rule his death as an accident.
Champaign County Coroner Duane Northrup reveals tests show Bennett died from an overdose of Fentanyl, a drug commonly prescribed to treat chronic pain.
Just two weeks before his passing, he posted a message to fans on his MySpace.com blog, stating he needed hip replacement surgery but feared he couldn't pay for the operation because he had no health insurance.
Bennett sued Wilco lead singer Jeff Tweedy in May (09), claiming he was owed royalties for songs during his seven years with the group.