Ant And Dec Apologise After Phone-in Findings

by | 20 October 2007

TV presenters Ant and Dec have promised to donate profits from the next series of Saturday Night Takeaway to charity, after the programme was implicated in the ITV phone-in investigation.

ITV chairman Sir Michael Grade commissioned auditors Deloitte to carry out a review of the network's premium-rate interactive services, after allegations of unfair practices.

The Deloitte audit uncovered "serious editorial issues" with phone-in competitions including instances where phone-lines were left open despite winners having already been selected.

And producers of the 2005 and 2006 series of Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway were culpable in what Sir Michael called "a serious cultural failure within ITV".

In a statement, the award-winning pair said: "It is important to us that people understand that none of the shows highlighted in the findings of the ITV's independent review were made by our production company, Gallowgate, and that there was no financial benefit to us from the phone lines within those shows.

"Our roles as executive producers on Saturday Night Takeaway are purely creative ones."

ITV programmes criticised in the report also included Soapstar Superstar 2007 and Ant and Dec's Gameshow Marathon 2005, while technical problems with interactive voting on The X-Factor were noted.

Sir Michael cancelled all premium rate phone-ins, interactive votes and competitions in March while Deloitte carried out its investigation.

Though phone voting eventually returned to most programmes, quiz channel ITV Play has been abandoned after call volumes declined dramatically.


20/10/2007 16:41:36


Contactmusic

Tags: Ant and Dec

Advertisement

More Ant And Dec

Ant McPartlin Shrugs Off 'Idiot' After Assault in Chiswick

Ant McPartlin has shrugged off an incident in which he was assault outside a pub in Chiswick, telling Twitter followers that he won't let an...

Ant McPartlin Speaks Out To Reassure Fans After Headlock Gang Assault

Anthony McPartlin, of Ant and Dec fame, has responded to his fans' concern after it emerged that he had been put into a headlock by...

Ant And Dec Doubled The Chance Of Winning Prize For Entertainment Programme At The NTAs

The UK's favourite presenting duo, Ant and Dec, are stand-out favourites on telly this year with the 2014 National Television Awards nominating two of their...

Ant And Dec Sign 3 Year Deal With ITV, Begin Work on Sitcom

Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donnelly, AKA TV duo 'Ant n Dec,' have signed a further 3 year deal with broadcasters ITV, extending their exclusive contract...

Advertisement

Will Ant and Dec's 'Saturday Night Takeaway' Work as a Live Show?

"Yes! I bagged tickets for Ant and Dec!" nobody has ever said, ever. Even when they were pop stars. But now, the comedy duo are...

Bruce Forsyth Reckons Britain’s Got Talent Shouldn’t Include Kids

British television legend Bruce Forsyth – current presenter of Strictly Come Dancing – has announced that children shouldn’t be allowed on Britain’s Got Talent."I don't...

Ant & Dec Off The Top Of The Music Charts ... But Dominate The TV Ones

Ant And Dec’s chart dream has come to an end after just one week on top of the UK Singles charts after they were knocked...

Ant & Dec Relinquish Top Spot in The Singles Chart

Uh oh – reality check for Ant & Dec; the jewels in the crown of ITV’s broadcasting schedule managed to beat The Voice on Saturday...

Advertisement

Comments

Ant and Dec Newsletter

Subscribe to this news alert service to receive news and reviews on Ant and Dec

Unsubscribe | Unsubscribe All