Adele - Adele's 21 Rules Best Sellers List, Again
Adele's album '21' shifted 4.41 million copies in 2012, making it the best-selling record for the second year in a row.
Adele's album '21' has once again topped the US charts in 2012.
The British songbird's second record sold an impressive 4.41 million copies last year, beating the likes of Taylor Swift and One Direction to the top spot.
'21' sold 5.82 million in 2011, debuting at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart when it was released on March 21, 2011. It has yet to drop off the list and has never left the weekly top 40 tally.
Taylor Swift comes in second place with pop offering 'Red', which shifted 3.11 million copies and marks the fourth time the country starlet ranks among the top three best-selling records of the year.
Despite selling significantly less than their female counterparts, boy band One Direction broke records by having two of the year's top five sellers with their debut LP 'Up All Night' placing at No. 3 and their second album 'Take Me Home' at No. 5.
Mumford & Sons' 'Babel' is 2012's fourth-biggest album with sales of 1.46 million, while teen idol Justin Bieber's 'Believe' was sixth, with 1.34 million.
This year was first time since 2008 that no Christmas albums featured among the top 10 sellers, since SoundScan begun the annual sales rankings in 1991.
Neilsen SoundScan's top ten biggest selling albums in the US, 2012:
01. Adele, '21' - 4.41 million
02. Taylor Swift, 'Red' - 3.11 million
03. One Direction, 'Up All Night' - 1.62 million
04. Mumford and Sons, 'Babel' - 1.46 million
05. One Direction, 'Take Me Home' - 1.34 million
06. Justin Bieber, 'Believe' - 1.34 million
07. Carrie Underwood's, 'Blown Away', - 1.2 million
08. Luke Bryan, 'Tailgates & Tanlines' - 1.1 million
09. Lionel Richie, 'Tuskegee' -1.07 million
10. Jason Aldean, 'Night Train' - 1.02 million