Slash Guitar Riff Tops Poll
GUNS N' ROSES axeman SLASH's riff in the classic hit SWEET CHILD O' MINE has been named the greatest guitar moment ever.
The opening bars to the classic 1988 song has topped a poll for the greatest guitar riff ever - beating NIRVANA's SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT and LED ZEPPELIN's WHOLE LOTTA LOVE.
TOTAL GUITAR magazine says, "Sweet Child O' Mine proved to be a creative high point for the band that was famed for its debauched, drug-addled lifestyle.
"The song itself is a gentle lament compared with the group's normally ear-splitting, expletive-rich output."
SCOTT ROWLEY, Total Guitar's editor, comments, "To a new generation of guitarists, METALLICA are more important than the ROLLING STONES, Guns N' Roses more thrilling than the SEX PISTOLS, BLACK SABBATH better than THE BEATLES."
The full top ten is:
1. SWEET CHILD O' MINE - GUNS N' ROSES
2. SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT - NIRVANA
3. WHOLE LOTTA LOVE - LED ZEPPELIN
4. SMOKE ON THE WATER - DEEP PURPLE
5. ENTER SANDMAN - METALLICA
6. LAYLA - DEREK AND THE DOMINOES
7. MASTER OF THE PUPPETS - METALLICA
8. BACK IN BLACK - AC/DC
9. VOODOO CHILE (SLIGHT RETURN) - JIMI HENDRIX
10. PARANOID - BLACK SABBATH02/05/2004 13:59