Australian actor Matthew Newton has carved out a rather unsavoury reputation as a bad boy after several separate assault charges. But, according to the 36-year-old, he’s a changed man.
"I was put in the back of the police car and I realised I was completely alone,” said Newton on an incident that saw him hit a hotel clerk in Miama last year. “I realised there were two choices: there was help, there was honestly opening myself up and asking for help, or there was nothing, there was the end," he explained, before taking full responsibility for his past errors in judgement; many of which were violent episodes. "It's never okay to hit someone," he said.
Newton, who’s ‘controversies’ section on Wikipedia is longer than his ‘acting’ section, will be looking to extend the latter now that, hopefully, his past his well and truly behind him. He was charged with the assault of his former girlfriend, Australian actress Brooke Satchwell, in 2007. In 2010, he allegedly assaulted his then-fiancee, actress Rachael Taylor, in the lobby of a hotel in Italy. He was also charged with the assault of a taxi driver in Sydney in 2011. A pretty impressive, yet unwanted record.
Matthew Newton has had an assault charge against him dismissed following a court hearing in Australia on Wednesday (September 26th). The actor, who stars in The Underbelly: A Tale of Two Cities, appeared in Downing Centre Local Court in Sydney via video link from the USA, where he now lives. He had been accused of punching a cab driver last December in the city, however Chief Magistrate Graeme Henson agreed for the charge to be dealt with under the Mental Health Act as Newton has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and anxiety.
Continue reading: Matthew Newton Assault Charge Dismissed
After the spin-off Han Solo movie was hit by the loss of its directors earlier this week, LucasFilm and Disney have acted quickly to fill the gap...
The singer introduced "the next generation" in Iceland.