Marlon Brando's "I could been a contender" speech in ON THE WATERFRONT has
been voted the best movie line ever in a new poll.
Editors at America's Entertainment Weekly put Brando's Terry Malloy
monologue at the top of their new Greatest Movie Lines of All Time survey -
ahead of lines uttered by Anthony Perkins in PSYCHO and Dustin Hoffman in THE
The top 10 are:
1. "I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender..." MARLON BRANDO (as
TERRY MALLOY) in ON THE WATERFRONT.
2. "We all go a little mad sometimes." ANTHONY PERKINS (as NORMAN BATES) in
3. "Mrs Robinson, you're trying to seduce me." DUSTIN HOFFMAN (as BEN
BRADDOCK) in The Graduate.
4. "Hey, don't knock masturbation..." Woody Allen (as ALVY SINGER) in Annie
5. "She's my daughter! She's my sister..." Faye Dunaway (as EVELYN CROSS) in
6. "Open the pod bay doors, Hal." Keir Dullea (as DAVE BOWMAN) in 2001: A
7. "Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!" Charlton Heston (as
TAYLOR) in Planet Of The Apes.
8. "Because when you're a call girl, you control it..." Jane Fonda (as BREE
DANIEL) in Klute
9. "And I say, 'Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for
the effort...'" Bill Murray (as CARL SPECKLER) in CADDYSHACK.
10. "Hitler was better looking than Churchill..." Kenneth Mars (as FRANZ
LIEBKIND) in The Producers.