Boston-born movie star Mark Wahlberg was stunned by the bomb attack on his native city and has warned the U.S. has a "serious problem" if families are not safe on an innocent day out.
At least three people died and more than 150 were injured, many of them seriously, when two huge explosions ripped through a crowd of spectators watching the Boston Marathon on Monday (15Apr13).
Wahlberg, who was born in the Boston suburb of Dorchester, was informed of the horror while he was in New York for a screening of his new film Pain & Gain on Monday night, and he told of his disgust at the attack.
At the screening, the actor told People.com, "It's just so upsetting. Obviously I've got a huge family and so many family and friends back in Boston. I don't know what exactly happened, and I don't know if everyone's okay. I'm just trying to be here and put on a brave face and just be a professional.
"The world obviously needs to change. If you think about all the events over the last couple (of) years, if we can't protect our innocent women and children, then we have a serious problem."
The U.S. has been hit with several violent crime rampages in recent months, including the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut in December (12) which left 26 dead, and the massacre at a movie theatre in July last year (12) when 12 film fans perished and almost 60 were injured.