The Newsnight investigation into Jimmy Savile and his unsavoury antics that was dropped by the network's executives is being investigated to see why the show was dropped in the first place, with former BBC director general Mark Thompson said to have already given a statement for the inquest.
The independent Pollard Review, which is being chaired by former Sky News executive Nick Pollard, is seeking to establish whether there were any "failings" in the decision to drop the Newsnight investigation that was meant to go to air while Thompson, now president of The New York Times, was still in charge of the broadcasting corporation. Mr Pollard spoke to press after a meeting recently when he reassured that the review was making "good progress".
Mr Thompson began his new job earlier this month whilst the turmoil at his old employers was reaching boiling point. According to the BBC, his appointment is already being questioned by a number of staff members at his new offices, who said they wanted to know more about his part in the crisis at the network. The ongoing review will also take into consideration the BBC's handling of some potentially sensitive material which may have been of use to the police in the ongoing investigation into child abuse claims against the late Savile and several other BBC employees.
Mark Thompson, the former director general of the BBC, began his new job as the CEO of the New York Times today (Nov 12), determined not to have the scandals engulfing his former employers rub off on his new tenure.
Keen to hit the ground running, Thompson has reiterated that he is focused on his new post and will not allow the crisis at his former place of employment cloud his judgement. The paper's new head has also been insistent that he was oblivious of any notions of child abuse linked to former BBC employer Jimmy Savile during his time at the company, regardless of the fact that many have since claimed that rumours surrounding Savile's private life had been around the company for decades.
The scandal has so far sparked a media frenzy back in Thompson's native UK, coinciding with an ongoing police investigation and further (false) claims against certain high ranking officials since being aired on the BBC. As a result of the ongoing saga, George Entwistle, Thompson's successor at the BBC, and several other key executives have resigned from their posts at the corporation.
The Jimmy Savile scandal has already officially claimed its first victim in the arrest of Gary Glitter last Sunday (28th Oct. 2012), however there are undoubtedly many more people waiting uncomfortably for their fated call. It isn't only perpetrators of the abuse that should expect to be reprimanded, but also those deemed responsible for letting the entire operation slide as it went on for half a decade, potentially.
Joe Nocera questioned the appointment of Mark Thompson - ex-Director General of the BBC - as the new Chief Executive at Nocera's own stomping ground, The New York Times. He said the chairman of the corporation, Arthur Sulzberg, is in a tight spot and must ask some serious questions. Plus, further speculation surrounding Thompson has emerged today as the ignorance he has claimed comes under attack. The Daily Mail reports that "Mark Thompson's office was notified at least twice - once by a journalist and once again by ITV", although a spokesman for Thompson denies the claims.
The BBC itself will also suffer enormously from this massive breach of trust. The Telegraph reports that there has been a huge drop in public trust for the national company. They say that only 45% of people now feel that they trust the BBC, dropping from the 62% of a similar survery in 2009.