Here's what we know so far about 'The Nightly Show With Larry Wilmore', due to premiere on 19th January on Comedy Central.
Larry Wilmore's The Nightly Show is set to premiere on 19th January on Comedy Central but, until recently, the network and its star have been keeping details surrounding the show a secret. Wilmore's show, a spin-off of The Daily Show in which Wilmore featured, replaces The Colbert Report in the 11.30pm slot on Comedy Central.
Larry Wilmore has revealed some details of his forthcoming show.
53-year-old comedian Wilmore attended the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena on Saturday (10th January) where he answered some burning questions about his forthcoming show, as THR, TVLine and Variety report.
Here's what we know so far about The Nightly Show With Larry Wilmore:
- Wilmore described the show as a cross between The Daily Show and Politically Incorrect, as TVLine reports.
- The first part of the hour and a half show will focus on the events of the day whilst the second half will feature a panel to discuss topics which may have arisen through events of the day. "The panel discussion will deconstruct events," Wilmore said, as Variety reports. "We'll have a nice balance of the scripted element and the non-scripted."
- It's not always going to be the usual faces which crop up for discussion. Wilmore wants a variety of voices on his panels beyond the political commentators who frequently appear on such shows. As THR reports, Wilmore and his team want people involved in the action to be able to offer their opinion. In the case of a strike, the website reports, Wilmore wants someone on the panel who is actually striking.
- In a similar vein, Wilmore is also keen to avoid his guests hawking their latest book or film. "I can't compete in the glamour booking race," Wilmore said as THR reports.
- It's still a work in progress and, although it's just over a week before the premiere, there's still a lot to experiment with. "We're finding out what all that means as we do the test shows [next week], but we have a real good sense of where we're starting from," Wilmore told Variety.
- The show will deal with hard hitting news and Wilmore recognises that "not every topic is a laugh-generating topic." His remarks were in response to questions about the recent terror attacks on the offices of Charlie Hebdo. However, Wilmore also recognises there may at times be the need for a little hindsight when discussing something as emotive as the recent attacks in Paris. "You have to judge what topics you want to put on your show that day, and which will be more ripe for discussion later on," Wilmore said to reporters from TVLine.
The Nightly Show With Larry Wilmore premieres on Monday 19th January at 11.30pm on Comedy Central.