Actor Kevin Bacon was hospitalised with a head injury when he fell out of bed after mistakenly taking a dog tranquilliser.

The Apollo 13 star was prescribed a mild sedative to help him cope with his gruelling film schedule but he accidentally mixed up his medication with pills for his dog.

Recalling the results of the bizarre incident, he says, "I wake up in the middle of the night... and I'm on the floor and I don't know how I got there. I walk to the bathroom and... I put my hand (on the back of my head) and my head is bleeding, like, bad from the back. So now I have to get myself to the (emergency room)...

"I said (to the doctor), 'Ok, here's the thing, I gotta (sic) work in about an hour and a half and they have to (be) able (to) shoot the back of my head. Is there any way you would be able to not shave that hair?' and she said, 'Ok, I'll stitch around it?' and I said, 'And by the way, I see you have black thread there, do you have any brown thread?' and she said, 'Yeah.'

"She stitches me up, 10 stitches and I show up at work... and I say, 'Ok, I don't want anybody to panic, but when you are shooting the back of my head can you look through the lens and make sure you can't see because I have 10 stitches in the back of my head, and everyone flips out and says, 'What happened?' and I say, 'It was the dog's fault'."