Karl Lagerfeld has pulled out of Paris Fashion Week - to concentrate on a new collection instead.

The flamboyant designer - who creates ranges for luxury labels Fendi and CHANEL - had been due to appear at the prestigious event on October 3 but his now cancelled the showcase so he can focus on his ready-to-wear range Masstige, which includes affordable clothing for Women, but will have some pieces for men as well.

Based on the idea of "mass elitism", the collection will be sold online when it launches for the autumn/winter 2011 season.

He told fashion bible WWD: "I wanted this for a long time. I prefer to work in another way. I can't compete with Chanel. I don't want to be the poor child of myself. This has been my vision for years.

"It will be something affordable for lots of people."

Christian Stahl, a New York-based partner in Apax Partners, owner of Karl Lagerfeld SAS, supported his decision, saying: "We think there is great potential with this positioning, so we are very supportive and very excited. He is such a global personality; this is going to be a global approach."

It also revealed negotiations are under way "for the distribution and production of the designer's new vision".

Earlier this year, Lagerfeld admitted he was desperate to venture into the mass market again to recreate the success of his collaboration with high street store H&M in 2004.

He said: "My dream is to turn the whole house of Lagerfeld into this kind of mass business, because I am at the peak of luxury with Chanel and Fendi. Being at both ends of the market is the height of luxury."