The Associated Press on Monday charged that the Justice Department engaged in a massive and unprecedented intrusion into its news gathering activities by obtaining the outgoing telephone records of its reporters and Editors in New York, Washington and Hartford CT in April and May of 2012. In a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder, AP President and CEO Gary Pruit said, These records potentially reveal communications with confidential sources across all of the newsgathering activities undertaken by the AP during a two-month period, provide a road map to AP's newsgathering operations and disclose information about AP's activities and operations that the government has no conceivable right to know. Pruitt said that he had been notified of the seizure last Friday but that the Justice Department offered no explanation for it. However, the AP observed that the seized telephone records appeared principally to relate to the work of reporters who revealed details of a CIA operation in Yemen to stop an airliner bomb plot in May 2012.