The Metropolitan police are to launch a new investigation over a Sir Jimmy Savile rape claim after a woman came forward and told detectives that she was raped by the former promoter and DJ in the 1970s. Savile's legacy is in danger of being left in tatters, with a new documentary set to air on ITV tomorrow night (October 3rd) alleging that he indulged in sexual abuse of underage girls.
According to The Guardian, a spokesperson for the Surrey police force said "A woman yesterday (Monday, 1 October) reported a historic allegation of rape. The alleged offence occurred in London, therefore the matter has been referred to the Metropolitan police." The incident refers to Savile, who died last year aged 84 after a career which saw him take on everything from DJ to club promoter to children's TV host. Many of the alleged incidents that ITV are set to uncover took place when Savile was working for the BBC, and there is now severe pressure on the television broadcaster to undertake a full inquiry into the rumours, in spite of them already coming out and claiming that they've found no evidence to back up the claims.
They have, however, issued a new statement that read "These are serious and disturbing new allegations about which we understand the police have been informed. We will, of course, assist the police in every way we can."