North Yorkshire Police have asked the BBC for a copy of the report that led to the 'Top Gear' presenter being dismissed on Wednesday.
On the same day it was announced that he had been sacked by the BBC after a ‘fracas’ with a ‘Top Gear’ producer, things could be about to get even worse for Jeremy Clarkson. Sky News confirmed that North Yorkshire Police has asked the BBC for its report in to the incident, and may charge him “where necessary”.
54 year old Clarkson was told on Wednesday by BBC Director General Tony Hall that his contract with the corporation will not be renewed. Hall is publishing the findings of the internal investigation, and has been asked by police for a copy of the report, leading to the possibility of an assault charge against the presenter.
Ex-'Top Gear' presenter Jeremy Clarkson riding around London
North Yorkshire Police said in a statement that it “is liaising with the BBC regarding the alleged incident in North Yorkshire involving Jeremy Clarkson… …the information will be assessed appropriately and action will be taken by North Yorkshire Police where necessary.”
The report found that Clarkson assaulted Oisin Tymon, one of ‘Top Gear’’s producers, for around 30 seconds on the evening of March 4th at the prestigious Simonstone Hall Hotel after an argument about catering boiled over. This attack left Tymon with facial swelling and a split lip, but there was also a tirade of verbal abuse so loud it could be heard in one of the hotel bedrooms.
Oisin Tymon released his own statement in the wake of the findings, saying “I've worked on ‘Top Gear’ for almost a decade, a programme I love. Over that time Jeremy and I had a positive and successful working relationship, making some landmark projects together. He is a unique talent and I am well aware that many will be sorry his involvement in the show should end in this way.”
It’s not yet known what the future holds for ‘Top Gear’ in the wake of Clarkson’s expulsion. The BBC seems intent on continuing the series, and is reported to be in the process of attracting Radio 2 presenter and car fanatic Chris Evans to replace Clarkson, but no official confirmation has yet been made.