Actor Jake Gyllenhaal and his sister MAGGIE escaped without injury after being caught up in a fire early on Wednesday (27DEC06) at a California inn.
The two were staying at Manka's Inverness Lodge in Marin County for Christmas when a tree fell on the structure, sparking the fire.
According to Marin County Fire Department Battlion Chief MIKE GIANNINI, "From my perspective, it looks like a total loss of the main lodge and the restaurant."
Neighbour JUDY PROKUPEK, who witnessed the devastation, said guests were seen running out of the inn at around 2:43 am, adding, "They weren't dressed to come out. It was early."
Chef and co-owner DANIEL DELONG said the Brokeback Mountain star assisted with the recovery efforts saying, "Jake was helping me pull things out of the fire."
Other well-known guests at the inn were Fargo star Frances McDormand and her husband Joel Cohen. No injuries were reported.