Garry Glitter - Gary Glitter, real name Paul Gadd, leaves Southwark Crown Court after the jury retired to consider their verdict. The former glam rock star faces 10 charges relating to alleged sexual crimes from the 1970s and early 1980s - London, United Kingdom - Wednesday 4th February 2015
Convicted sex-offender Gary Glitter raked in £300,000 this year, partly thanks to David O'Russell's Oscar nominated movie Silver Linings Playbook. Glitter's 1972 track Rock And Roll Part 2 features in one of the trailers for the Jennifer Lawrence-starring movie, which is up for eight prizes at the Academy Awards.
Glitter - who was arrested again this year as part of Operation Yewtree - banked royalties from the movie, as well as from several other sources. According to The Sun, American football, basketball and ice hockey teams regularly used Glitter's 1970s anthems during match-days, again boosting his coffers each time. Technology giant Hewlett Packard used a cover version of the singer's hit track Do You Wanna Touch Me? (Oh Yeah) in their U.S. ads, netting him £64,000. He was also played on BBC Radio 2 and on a Top of the Pops rerun. A US source defended the use of his track in Silver Linings Playbook, saying, "There's less awareness of his past here."
Glitter's reputation was irreparably tarnished following his 1997 arrest and 1999 convicted for possession of child pornography in the UK. In 2006, a Vietnam court found him guilty of committing obscene acts with minors.
Continue reading: Why Did Gary Glitter Benefit Financially From Silver Linings Playbook?
The comedian Jim Davidson has been forced to pull out of Celebrity Big Brother after he was arrested at Heathrow airport in connection with the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal. The entertainer was due to appear on the Channel 5 reality series - which begins tonight (January 3, 2012) - though took the decision to pull out after he was questioned by detectives.
Plain clothes officers searched his £900,000 Georgian home in the Hampshire village of Stockbridge and were seen leaving with plastic evidence bags and brown envelopes. In a statement, the former host of Big Break and The Generation Game said he "vigorously denies" the allegations, which reportedly date back around 25 years. On his blog in October, Davidson wrote, "The Savile witch hunt is going a bit silly now. We all are starting to speculate and accuse ... even in jest. So no, I don't know who's next. Everyone has had the nod. Everyone is an expert. Just pick someone you don't like and say it's them. As odd as he was, Savile can't defend himself. The bloke's dead for God's sake. Let's move on." Other high profile names arrested as part of the investigation into sexual abuse include comedian Freddie Starr, Gary Glitter and Max Clifford. They all strenuously deny the allegations levelled against them.
David's solicitor Henri Brandman said "Two women have made allegations in respect of Jim that date back approximately 25 years. The complainants were then in their mid-twenties. Jim vigorously denies the allegations."
Continue reading: Police Clutch Evidence Bags After Searching Jim Davidson's Home
The rape claims against the late Jimmy Savile total up to 31, police have reported. According to the statement made by Scotland Yard officials, so far 589 people have come forward with information and a total of 450 complaints have been made, mainly citing sexual abuse. Of the alleged victims, 82% were women and 80% were children or young people at the time of the reported incidents. The investigation has been going on for 10 weeks and new information keeps coming in. Savile is currently a suspect on 31 rape counts in 7 police force areas, AFP reports.
All of the accusations against Savile span 17 force areas in total. The avalanche is dragging in more and more people, with Operation Yewtree having resulted in the detainment of seven suspects and aiding in the arrest of three more nationwide. “More arrests will be forthcoming,” a representative of Scotland Yard stated. The former pop star Gary Glitter is among those arrested and has later been released on bail.
The Operation Yewtree investigation is focused in three main areas: claims against Savile himself, claims against Savile and others, as well as claims solely against other people. Scotland Yard is preparing to release a report on the entire operation sometime in 2013. The reputation of the BBC has also been brought into question, as they were Savile's employer for the length of time that the former TV personality's alleged offences took place.
Another arrest has been made in relation to Operation Yewtree; the widespread police investigation into alleged sexual offences, sparked by the revelations regarding Jimmy Savile’s alleged former crimes against underage girls throughout his career at the BBC. According to BBC News, a man in his 60s was arrested at 6:45am (December 10, 2012) on suspicion of sexual offences and taken to a South London police station. He has been bailed until next month.
The man arrested today is the seventh to have been questioned as part of the operation and is the sixth to have been arrested. Some of those men have been high profile public figures, such as the DJ Dave Lee Travis, the comedian Freddie Starr, the PR consultant Max Clifford and the former TV presenter Wilfred De’Ath. They have all denied any wrongdoing. The musician Gary Glitter was also arrested but has not yet made a statement.
Operation Yewtree is divided into three strands: offences related to Jimmy Savile, offences related to Jimmy Savile and others and offences unrelated to Savile. Today's arrest, according to Scotland Yard, was “not connected to the allegations made against the late BBC presenter.” The identity of the man arrested today has not been revealed by Scotland Yard.
PR guru Max Clifford may need to use all the publicist expertise at his disposal to get himself out of this one, having been questioned by police about two separate sex offence allegations some eight years apart.
Mr Clifford, 69, is best known for keeping the images of such people as Kerry Katona and Katie Price their shiniest, but is now facing an up hill challenge to keep his own reputation in check. The publicist has told the press that the allegations he is facing have nothing to do with children, but revealed that he is not allowed to discuss his 12 hours of questioning any further. Clifford's summonings into police custody came yesterday morning (Dec 6) by officers working on the Jimmy Savile sex abuse inquiry that has dominated the headlines since the deceased TV presenter's sordid past emerged.
Following his mammoth questioning session, Clifford was quick to deny any and all of the accusations he is facing, telling the crowd of reporters outside his Surrey home earlier today (Dec 7) "I have nothing to hide."
Continue reading: Max Clifford Faces Police Questions On Two Separate Sex Offences
Despite his arrest under Operation Yewtree, which stems from sexual abuse claims that could date back to the 1970's, Max Clifford said the allegations "are totally without any foundation and are totally untrue", and is looking to get back to work following his bail release, Sky News reports.
He said he had "absolutely nothing to hide" over the claims levelled against him, and said, "I'll be working as I normally do - so trying to make things as normal as I possibly can in the circumstances." He said it had been "a horrible experience but you have to face up to these things", and continued to say, "The police have got to look into it (the allegations). That's what they have to do and obviously I have to answer their questions and hopefully show clearly and conclusively to them and everybody else that there's absolutely no truth in it at all." Operation Yewtree is being investigated under three categories of offences; those allegedly committed by Savile alone, those allegedly committed by Savile and others, and alleged offences by others.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said on Thursday: "The individual (held today) falls under the strand of the investigation we have termed 'others'. We are not prepared to discuss further." Among those arrested already in line with the investigation are Gary Glitter, comedian Freddie Starr, DJ Dave Lee Travis and a man in his 70s, reported to be former television producer Wilfred De'Ath.
The Metropolitan Police are believed to be holding talks with a 'mystery man' into the ongoing child abuse claims against the late Jimmy Savile.
Police are remaining tight-lipped on the identity of the latest person to be brought into talks relating to the claims of sexual abuse stretching for more than half a century, although it is known that the mystery person is an OAP in his 80s.
The police meeting with the unknown man took place at Scotland Yard yesterday (Nov 29) and lasted until just after 5pm, with the Met telling the press afterwards that the suspect, from Berkshire, was allowed to return home after the interrogation. The man's questioning is related to a wider investigation looking into claims of child abuse and other such offences not solely related to the Savile case.
Continue reading: Police Quizzing 'Mystery Man' About Jimmy Savile Abuse Claims
A fifth man is being questioned, under caution, in connection with the ongoing Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal, The Telegraph reports today (November 29, 2012). The man, in his 80’s and known to be from Berkshire, has not been named. Already, four other men have been questioned in relation to the case and all four have denied any involvement. Those men are the musician Gary Glitter (who already has past convictions for paedophilia), the comedian Freddie Starr, the DJ Dave Lee Travis and another man in his 70s, believed to be the TV producer William De’Ath.
The inquiry into the widespread scandal, which has brought the repute of the BBC into question, is being led by Scotland Yard and has been named Operation Yewtree. Around 450 potential victims are currently being spoken to by officers involved in the investigation, the “majority” of whom claim that they were the victims of Jimmy Savile’s sexual abuse.
The allegations against Savile first came to light in an ITV documentary. Since it aired, hundreds of alleged victims have contacted police to help them with their inquiry. It also came to light that a planned BBC documentary on the matter had been shelved, for unclear reasons. The scandal led to the resignation of the BBC’s director general, George Entwhistle. He has been replaced by the appointment of Lord Tony Hall.
The Jimmy Savile scandal has already officially claimed its first victim in the arrest of Gary Glitter last Sunday (28th Oct. 2012), however there are undoubtedly many more people waiting uncomfortably for their fated call. It isn't only perpetrators of the abuse that should expect to be reprimanded, but also those deemed responsible for letting the entire operation slide as it went on for half a decade, potentially.
Joe Nocera questioned the appointment of Mark Thompson - ex-Director General of the BBC - as the new Chief Executive at Nocera's own stomping ground, The New York Times. He said the chairman of the corporation, Arthur Sulzberg, is in a tight spot and must ask some serious questions. Plus, further speculation surrounding Thompson has emerged today as the ignorance he has claimed comes under attack. The Daily Mail reports that "Mark Thompson's office was notified at least twice - once by a journalist and once again by ITV", although a spokesman for Thompson denies the claims.
The BBC itself will also suffer enormously from this massive breach of trust. The Telegraph reports that there has been a huge drop in public trust for the national company. They say that only 45% of people now feel that they trust the BBC, dropping from the 62% of a similar survery in 2009.
Gary Glitter has returned home on bail after being the first person to be arrested in the Jimmy Savile sex abuse inquiry. The 1970s glam rocker, who has served time for child sex crimes, was detained at his London home on suspicion of unspecified "sexual offences", reports The Daily Telegraph.
Glitter, 68, real name Paul Gadd, was taken for interview at Charing Cross Police Station before being released 10 hours later until mid-December pending further inquiries. Police have made no secret of their intention to go after those who may have had knowledge of Savile's sex abuse - or partook in it themselves - with a radio producer, a photographer and a driver now of interest to the investigation team. Esther Rantzen, the broadcaster and founder of ChildLine, has passed emails to police containing sexual allegations against three "high profile" BBC employees, all of whom are still alive. The Met Police did not confirm what led to Glitter's arrest, though rumours suggest it is linked to an incident with a 13-year-old girl in Savile's dressing room at BBC Television Centre. Among those likely to be questioned by police is Freddie Starr, the comedian who was the subject of a claim that he tried to molest a 14-year-old girl in Savile's dressing room.
Meanwhile, the late television star's cottage in the Scottish Highlands was covered in abusive graffiti overnight on Saturday.