Dustin Hoffman has secretly been battling cancer for an unspecified amount of time. He has kept the life-threatening news a secret from the public until a recent announcement from one of his PR team, which alerted us not only of his illness, but that he has undergone treatment and is responding well to the medical intervention. His rep, Jodi Gottlieb, exclusively spoke to People Magazine to reveal the mixed bag of good and bad news this Tuesday (6 August).
Hoffman has responded well to his recent cancer treatment
"It was detected early and he has been surgically cured," she told the magazine, failing to disclose how long exactly it had been since Dustin was told that he was suffering from cancer. She reassuringly added, "Dustin is feeling great and is in good health."
Gottlieb went on to add that the 75-year-old Hollywood great is due to undergo further surgery later this year, saying that doctors have recommended that Hoffman undergo a preventative surgical procedure to help minimize the threat of a recurrence of cancerous cells. The rep for the double Academy Award-winner refused to go into further detail about his procedure and his battle with the disease so far, but we shall keep you updated on Mr Hoffman's health as we find out the details.
His rep didn't mention how long the actor has been fighting the disease
In spite of his recent health concerns, Dustin hasn't let his film out-put dwindle, as he already has at least three new films lined up. The actor, who made his directing debut with 2012's Quartet, recently finished filming scenes for Jon Favreau's upcoming movie, Chef, and will also appear alongside Judi Dench in an adaptation of Roald Dahl's Esio Trot. He is also due to take on a starring role in the film Boys Choir.
He wish Dustin a full and speedy recovery