The young star's cause of death is confirmed.
The British Columbia Coroner’s Service described Cory Monteith’s death as a “most tragic accident” yesterday after they confirmed that the young Canadian actor’s death was caused by a drug and alcohol overdose, many sources, including The BBC have reported. The Glee star, 31, has a well-documented problem with substance abuse, even if most thought his troubles were behind him.
Cory died aged 31 from a drug and alcohol overdose
He "died of a mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol" read a statement after the autopsy and toxicological analysis. "There is no evidence at this time to suggest Monteith's death was anything other than a most tragic accident.," it continued. "On behalf of family members, the BC Coroners Service asks that the media respect their privacy at this difficult time."
He had previously spoken of his drug and alcohol use as a teenager and sought help for substance addiction earlier this year. He told Parade magazine in a 2011 interview that he was “lucky to be alive.” The cliché of the tragic pinup reared its ugly head again when Monteith was found dead in his hotel room, and brings back memories of River Phoenix’s death nearly twenty years ago.
Lea Michelle was his girlfriend on and away from Glee
Monteith's girlfriend Lea Michele, also played his on-and-off lover in Glee, issued a statement saying she was "deeply grateful for all the love and support she's received from family, friends, and fans". The statement, according to People magazine, said she had been "grieving alongside his family and making appropriate arrangements with them" and "they are supporting each other as they endure this profound loss together".