Filming on Chris Hemsworth's new movie was abandoned yesterday (02.12.13) due to devastating flash floods.

The 30-year-old actor, director Ron Howard and the crew of 'In the Heart of the Sea' were forced to evacuate the set of 'In the Heart of the Sea' in the Canary Islands due to mudslides and bad weather conditions - which killed five people in the region - on the advice of local authorities.

The director revealed they initially tried to get around the bad weather by moving filming indoors.

He tweeted: ''Rare heavy rain in La Gomera forced us to our small converted cover stage...

''torrential outside, the crew dried work shoes as we shot a scene inside. Sound was ruined by rain on roof tho (sic)''

However, he then revealed local authorities advised that production be stopped for the day - and they left the set at the right time.

He said: ''Then our access road began to flood.

''Soon we were advised to wrap and evacuate. Pronto. ASAP

''W/out incident trucks moved to hi ground & all cast & crew waded to cars (calf deep) & made it out b-4 roads closed

''Good luck that no cars or people were swept away or hit by tumbling rocks. All's well that ends well (sic)''

It is unlikely that shooting in La Gomera will resume today (03.12.13).

Howard's partner at Imagine Entertainment, Brian Grazer, told the New York Post's Page Six: ''There was a near-typhoon, which is very rare for that area. Ron had to shut down the production and get everyone out of there. Thankfully, none of the cast or crew were hurt. Production has been put on hold.''

This is the second scary incident that Chris has been involved in since arriving in the Canary Islands.

The 'Thor: The Dark World' star, his pregnant wife Elsa Pataky and their 18-month-old daughter, India Rose, had to be rescued last month when their catamaran ran aground off the coast off San Sebastian de La Gomera.

A lifeboat, a Civil Guard patrol boat and a helicopter were scrambled to help the hunk, his family and five other passengers and brought them all back to safer shores by boat.

Ambulances were on hand, but none of the party needed medical attention. It is unknown who was sailing the sea craft when the accident happened.