Singer Chris Brown has withdrawn from the Kids' Choice awards ceremony after being charged with assault and making criminal threats against his girlfriend Rihanna.

The Forever star had been nominated for favourite male singer and favourite song but after concerned parents demanded children's television network Nickelodeon remove Brown's name from the shortlist, he as withdrawn himself from consideration.

"Chris very much appreciates the support of his fans and the honour they have paid him in the way of nominations for favourite male singer and favourite song," said the singer's spokesperson.

"Unfortunately, the controversy surrounding the incident last month has shifted the focus from the music to whether he should be allowed to be among those nominated.

"While Chris would like to speak to his fans directly about this and other issues, pending legal proceedings preclude his doing so at this time. Once the matter before him has been resolved, he intends to do so."

Brown, 19, was charged with assault likely to cause great bodily injury and making criminal threats at a court in Los Angeles last week, after being arrested in February over an incident in Hancock Park.

An online petition had received more than 10,000 signatures calling for the singer's name to be removed from the Kids' Choice awards shortlist and Nickelodeon have now confirmed his withdrawal.

"We are confirming that Chris Brown has decided to withdraw his nominations from the Kids' Choice Awards," a statement said.

"We agree with and respect his decision, and are looking forward to presenting a great event for our audience."

It was reported on Wednesday that Brown and Rihanna reconciled following his arrest by taking part in emotional late-night recording sessions.


12/03/2009 11:33:34