Peaches Geldof's Cause of Death Confirmed as Heroin Overdose
The official inquest into Peaches Geldof's death has confirmed that she died as the result of a heroin overdose.
The second daughter of musician Bob Geldof, Peaches Geldof was thrust into the spotlight at an early age, especially when she was eleven and her mother Paula Yates died of a heroin overdose. Today the sad news was confirmed that her cause of death was the same as her mother's.
Details at the enquiry have revealed that Peaches was plagued by addiction
Geldof was best known for her modelling and television work, but was also a journalist, having written for publications since her teens. However, she was also troubled and hit tabloid headlines often for her partying and drug use in her youth. Many thought that after her marriage to Cohen and the birth of her two sons, Geldof had found happiness, but tragic revelations at her inquest had shown that Peaches was a deeply troubled woman.
The twenty five year old mother of two was found at the family home by her husband, musician Thomas Cohen, who had feared that she was using the drug again in February. He confronted Geldof, who admitted that she was taking heroin, retrieving drugs from their loft and flushing them down the toilet. Cohen said that he later checked the loft again, but did not retrieve any more drugs.
The coroner's report also detailed that Geldof had been using methadone for two and a half years prior to her relapse into addiction. She had been subject to weekly drugs tests, but when asked if he thought his wife may have lied about the results, Cohen replied "Yes."
The drugs that were found at the property tested as 61% pure, which is shockingly high compared to street heroin, which is usually around 25% pure. The coronor suggested it could have been the high toxicity of the heroin Geldof injested that led to her death. "There is no indication that Peaches intended to take her own life or harm herself in any way … Someone who stops or ceases to use heroin then resumes is less able to tolerate the levels they previously had."
Prior to her death, Peaches was reported to be in good spirits by her husband and father-in-law, who were in contact with her that weekend. Her eldest son, Astala, was in the house at the time of her tragic overdose.