Jackson Family Doesn't Win Negligence Trial Against AEG Live
The Jackson family lose as AEG Live are found not guilty of negligence in hiring Dr Conrad Murray.
The Jackson family will not be receiving payment from the concert promotional company AEG Live for negligence in hiring the physician who administered the drug that killed him.
A jury on Wednesday (Oct 2nd) found AEG Live not liable for Michael Jackson's death back in 2009.
Michael Jackson's mother, Katherine Jackson, lead the case against the promotional company who were producing Jackson's comeback concerts, for alleged negligence in hiring Dr Conrad Murray who administered the drug that killed the singer.
The five month long trial came to an end with the Jackson family missing out on a potentially huge cash sum, they originally asked the jury to award Michael's three children $85 million dollars each and $35 million to his mother for damages.
Robert Parish, the Jackson family's attorney argued that the singer was set to earn $1.2 billion to $1.6 billion from new tours, new music and a Las Vegas residency.
But they will not see a penny from AEG Live and no doubt the Jackson family will be devastated.
According to Fox News a source close to the Jackson's said, "They were counting on at least $2 billion, so there's no question that those who wanted this suit are devastated".
The source also said "Katherine wanted the money because the Jacksons don't have what people think they do. She gets money from the estate as does Prince, Paris, and Blanket, but once Katherine dies, she has nothing to leave her children, Jermaine, Jackie, etc. There is now going to be a lot of in-house fighting."
In the trial only 9 out of the 12 jurors had to agree, a unanimous verdict wasn't required.
After Jackson's death in 2009, Dr Conrad Murray faced trail to determine if he was aware of the amount of propofol he administered to Jackson, because the anaesthetic overdose was the cause of death.
In November 2011 Murray was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for giving Jackson the propofol overdose as a sleeping aid, and the family of the late star wanted to find out who was responsible for hiring the incompetent doctor.
Outside the courtroom AEG's attorney, Marvin Putman, reiterated that they never tried to negotiate a settlement because, "They weren't going to allow themselves to be shaken down.''
Putman added "What really happened behind those locked doors? That was between Michael Jackson and his physician".
However, if the jury ruled that Dr Murray was fit and able to treat Jackson but served to his patients demands, then he surely shouldn't be serving a prison sentence?
Dr Conrad Murray's prison sentence may not have been the appropriate penalty
Michael Jackson died from a propofol overdose in 2009