There are some films in this world that deserve another go.
It's just three months away from the premiere of the eagerly anticipated 'Suspiria' remake starring Dakota Johnson and Tilda Swinton; a film that has deserved a Hollywood makeover since the Italian original by Dario Argento was released back in 1977.
Of course, it's always touch and go with English remakes of foreign horror movies; will it be critical success like 'The Ring' and 'Let Me In', or will it flop dramatically like 'Quarantine' and 'The Uninvited'? We'll find out soon. Meanwhile, here are 7 other international horror films that ought to see a Hollywood reboot:
Continue reading: 7 Foreign Horror Movie Remakes We'd Love To See
The British actor will star in what will potentially be Miike's first ever English language film.
Tom Hardy has been chosen to take on the lead role in the upcoming thriller, The Outsider, in which he plays a former GI who is recruited by the Japanese Yakuza mafia. The film is particularly noteworthy as it is the first English-language film from acclaimed director and the king of Japanese horror Takashi Miike.
The story was broken on Thursday (June 6) by Deadline, who mentioned that Hardy has been confirmed for the film whilst Miike is currently in negotiations to direct still, with Andrew Baldwin having completed the script already. The film is being financed by the independent Silver Pictures, with producers Joel Silver, Andrew Rona and Steve Richards overseeing the project that is due to begin shooting in Japan in early 2014.
The film will be more than just your average action thriller too, and is why someone held in such esteem as Miike is being courted to direct, and follows Hardy's American GI who finds himself in post-World War II Japan as he becomes embroiled by the nefarious dealings of the yakuza. There have been few other details into the story leaked online just yet, but expect a few twists and turns if Miike is to become involved.
By Paul Brenner
Takeshi Miike's spaghetti western mash-up, Sukiyaki Western Django, is a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma. This Ramen on the Range is Miike's first American feature, perversely cast with Japanese actors in 99 percent of the roles and instructed to speak in contorted English, rendering most of the dialogue indecipherable; it takes some getting used to to hear line readings like "It's dah end da da road for youi." The other 1 percent of the cast is the rabid American film geek director Quentin Tarantino, clearly having the time of his life like a ticket to Disneyland. Tarantino is Ringo, a lonesome roads gunslinger, who sets the stage for the tale and speaks in an equally indecipherable western dialect that becomes even more obscure during a long spiel concerning Gion Shoja temple bells, with Tarantino inexplicably lapsing into a thick, flannel-tongued Toshiro Mifune accent halfway through his oration.
Ringo engages in some mighty fancy gunplay concerning a rattlesnake and an egg in front of a blatantly false campfire set that looks like it came out of the old kids' show Riders in the Sky. He then commences to tell the tale of a pale rider (Hideaki Ito) with a garish gun who appears through a howling Kurosawa haze in a western town lorded over by two rival clans -- the red-garbed Heike clan, led by the psychotic Kiyomori (Koicho Sato), who insists that everyone call him Henry, and the white-garbed Gengi clan, led by the cool, sleek, walking-manga illustration Yoshitsune (Yusuke Iseya). Before this cryptic Man With No Name can utter, "You going to come at me or whistle Dixie?" he commences to play one clan against the other, and soon bullets, bodies, and blood fly through the air like an in-progress Jackson Pollock painting. As the schizophrenic town sheriff sings at one point as the cast reloads, "I die. You die. She dies. He dies. We all die."
Continue reading: Sukiyaki Western Django Review
Totally bizarre (and thus in keeping with Miike's other work), The Happiness of the Katakuris tells the story -- as a musical -- of an innkeeping family that hits a string of bad luck with its very first patron turns up dead. So they bury him out back, so word doesn't get out and ruin the business before it ever gets going. Apparently a remake of a Korean film I've never seen, the oddity of the plot is matched only be the strangeness of the singing. There's claymation, dance numbers, dancing corpses, and bizarre cross-dressing karaoke. How can you not be enthralled? How can you not be baffled completely?Continue reading: The Happiness Of The Katakuris Review