Reminiscent of CBS's explanation in the aftermath of the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" in 2004 that it was caught off guard by the incident, ABC maintained on Monday that it had not expected the sexually explicit behavior of Adam Lambert during his performance on Sunday night's American Music Awards telecast. At no time during the rehearsal did one of Lambert's dancers simulate oral sex on the singer and at no time did Lambert kiss one of the male musicians, the network insisted. "We did not expect the impromptu moments," a spokeswoman for Dick Clark Productions, which produces the awards telecast, told Reuters. Lambert acknowledged that he often departs from the script. "I like to have a framework and just do stuff, so that kind of came about because of the connection that I had with that dancer," he told the Associated Press. In a separate interview with Reuters, he said that his intent was "not to piss people off, it was to promote freedom of expression and artistic freedom." But the explanation did nothing to mollify parents and religious groups, who quickly dispatched complaints to the network and to the FCC. (While the live telecast aired after the 10 00 p.m. cut-off for airing indecent material on the East Coast, it aired an hour earlier in the Central time zone; the sexual material was deleted from the delayed West Coast broadcast.) Timothy Winters, president of the Parents Television Council, which led the protest over the Janet Jackson incident, said that he had heard from members were outraged over Lambert's performance. "They just can't believe the nature of the content, the explicit nature, and how much graphic content there was," he told the A.P.

24/11/2009